Who Can Register to Vote?
To register to vote in North Carolina, you must:
- Be a US citizen
- Live in the county where you are registering, and have resided there for at least 30 days prior to the date of the election.
- Be at least 18 years old, or will be by the date of the general election.
- 16 and 17 year-olds may pre-register
- 17 year-olds may vote in a primary election if they will be 18 at the time of the general election.
- Not be serving a sentence for a felony conviction, including probation, parole, or post-release supervision.
- NOTE: By court order, you may now register and vote if you are serving an extended term of probation, post-release supervision, or parole, you have outstanding fines, fees, or restitution, and you do not know of another reason that your probation, post-release supervision, or parole was extended.
- Once you have completed a felony sentence, including any probation, parole, or post-release supervision, or received pardon, you are eligible to register and vote. No additional documentation is needed.
- If you have been discharged from probation, you are eligible to register and vote, even if you still owe money or have a civil lien.
- If you have any questions of your eligibility, it is always a good idea to double check with your parole/probation officer.
How to Register
If you are eligible to register to vote, North Carolina offers two primary ways to register:
- Online or In-Person at the DMV
Use the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) services. Existing NCDMV customers may submit a voter registration application online. You may use this online application to register to vote, update your voter registration address, update your party affiliation. You may not use the online voter registration application to change your name. There is no fee for voter registration services.
- By Mail or in Person
Fill out the N.C. Voter Registration Application (English) or the N.C Voter Registration Application (Spanish) and mail it to the Hoke County Board of Elections at PO Box 1565, Raeford, NC 28376 or drop it off In-Person at the Hoke County Board of Elections Office located at 227 N. Main Street, Raeford, NC 28376.
Already Registered? Check your Registration
Check your registration status by entering your information into the N.C. State Board of Elections Voter Search Tool, also known as the Voter Lookup. You will need to submit your First and Last name. To narrow the search results, you can add more information, such as your year of birth or county, but that is optional. With this tool you will be able to find publicly available information, including your:
- Voter Registration Status
- Election Day Poling Place
- Sample Ballots for upcoming Elections
- Voting Districts
- Voting History (past elections you participated in)
To notify a county board of elections of the death of a registered voter, complete the Notification of Deceased Voter form and return it to the appropriate County Board of Elections Office. Only a near relative or personal representative of the deceased voter's estate may complete the form.
Choosing Your Political Party
North Carolina recognizes three political parties: The Democratic Party, the Libertarian Party, and the Republican Party. A voter may choose one political party or can decide not to register with a political party. If a voter does not register with a political party, the voter will be registered as unaffiliated.
In a partisan primary, voters affiliated with a political party may only vote their party's ballot and may not vote in another party's primary. For example, a registered Libertarian may only vote in the Libertarian Party primary. Unaffiliated voters may choose the Democratic, Libertarian, Republican, or non-partisan (if available) ballot in a primary.
In general elections. voters may vote for the candidate(s) of their choice, regardless of party. North Carolina does not allow straight-ticket voting (also known as straight-party voting).
Hosting a Registration Drive?
Visit the North Carolina State Board of Elections - Hosting Voter Registration Drives website for more Information.